People who are allergic to marshmallows could be allergic to the ingredients in this food item and not to the marshmallow itself. According to experts, people who are allergic to marshmallows are actually allergic to gelatin. Gelatin is a protein found in marshmallow and other foods and if a person exhibits similar allergic reactions to gummy candies, gelatin desserts and some fruit snacks with gelatin in it then it’s more likely that they’re allergic to gelatin than the marshmallow itself.
Symptoms of marshmallow allergy
People allergic to marshmallows can exhibit the following symptoms:
- Swelling of the throat
It’s important to take note that if the individual is experiencing difficulty in breathing, or even swallowing, that he/she might already be experiencing an anaphylactic shock. If this is the case then he/she should be administered with an epinephrine shot right away or be given medical treatment immediately because anaphylaxis can be fatal.
Treating marshmallow allergy
Prevention is often the best treatment to an allergy and in order to prevent an allergic reaction to marshmallow the patient should avoid eating this food at all times. But as mentioned earlier, it’s not actually the marshmallow itself that is the trigger in an allergic reaction. The gelatin is the real culprit and so the patient should avoid the following foods if he/she has been diagnosed to be allergic to gelatin:
- Gummy candies
- Fruit snacks
- Gelatin desserts
- Cream cheese
- Ice cream
- Instant pudding
- Sour cream
- Frozen vegetables
- Frozen cereal
- Frosted Pop Tarts
- Icing or frosting
- Cough drops
Gelatin can also be found in cosmetics, vaccines, shampoos, and other hygiene products. Since it is very difficult to avoid this allergen it’s best to consult a physician and ask him/her the best course of action in preventing an allergic reaction from gelatin and the various food items that has that ingredient.
If you have been diagnosed to have an allergy to marshmallow or gelatin then your physician might have prescribed you with an antihistamine to curb any allergic reaction. If you have been diagnosed to have a severe allergy to marshmallow then your physician will probably advise you to bring along an epinephrine shot with you at all times. The EpiPen is a counter medication to a severe allergic reaction that could lead to an anaphylactic shock.
An anaphylactic shock is often described as follows:
- Rashes and/or hives
- Swollen lips, tongue or throat
- Difficulty in breathing
- Stomach pain, vomiting or diarrhea
- Rapid and weak pulse
- Low blood pressure
If you or anyone you know is experiencing these symptoms call 911 immediately and/or administer the epinephrine shot right away.