Some people might notice small bumps on their skin after a mosquito bite, while others experience an allergic reaction, which is far worse, called skeeter syndrome.
Skeeter syndrome affects mostly children and seniors because of their weak immune system. Like any other allergy, it can be developed suddenly despite not having it in your early years. There are different species of mosquitos that carry different enzymes, which means that you can just be allergic to some of them, but not all.
Swelling and redness in the area bitten by a mosquito are the first symptoms of skeeter syndrome. It can last up to 48 hours then may be followed by more serious reactions such as:
- Swelling of lips and mouth
- Anaphylactic shock
We can reduce the risk of skeeter syndrome by following these simple steps:
- Always wear long sleeves and pants outside
- Apply insect repellent lotion and cream on exposed skin areas
- Clean your house and water drainage
- Throw any stagnant water
- Inspect your window screens and fix if broken
It’s really important to be well-informed of the things you can do to treat your mosquito bites and to protect you from future risks.
You can buy over-the-counter cortisone creams to relieve the itch and redness and apply a cold pack to prevent swelling. If in case the symptoms get worse, you may consult to a doctor so he can give you a more appropriate medication.
Skeeter syndrome requires ongoing treatment and commitment to an allergy specialist. Avoid mosquito-prone areas as you can and follow those steps listed above to prevent any serious cases.